Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

My mother got me a sweet set of butterfly cookie cutters and is a fan of the new cookie recipe I am using, so what better way to honor her than to make a butterfly cookie bouquet. 
I attempted to identify the butterfly shapes and make them true to life, but it was more fun to just base it on the colors and let the icing flow. 



I really like the cookie recipe that I am now using. It makes a soft fluffy cookie, but it still holds its shape well. I also tried it as a chocolate version and that was rad too.

Sugar Cookie recipe  adapted from Cookie Crazie

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
2 1/4  cups flour (for chocolate version, substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/4 cup of the flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in the egg, vanilla,  and sour cream. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the mixture.  Roll out cookie dough and let chill for an hour. Cut out shapes and chill on cookie sheet for 15 minutes while the oven preheats to 325 degrees.  Bake for  10-14 minutes depending on size.

Since I did the vanilla and chocolate versions of this recipe, I had a bounty of cookies to decorate and bring to my mom.


Of course I also had to make some cupcakes for that lovely lady who gave me life. Her one request was for chocolate butter cream frosting.  For the cupcake itself, I used a funfetti white cake recipe that has a subtle taste of vanilla and almond. Instead of sprinkles in the batter I used mini chocolate chips in pink, yellow and semi-sweet.  They came out pretty cool. 




Happy Mother's Day to my mommy and all the other moms out there in the world. You give life and love, support and strength,  hugs and hope. Thanks mama. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment