Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cookies for My #1 Dad

My Father and I are Seinfeld fanatics. We watched the tv show when it was first on and we still watch it in syndication, constantly. Every day I have a Seinfeld moment whether it be a phrase (Serenity Now!) or someone's behavior (a low talker), and it brings a smile to my face. Also, nearly every single day my father sends me an email with an image from the show and one word in the subject line to capture the essence of that moment, like "gum" with a photo of Jerry wearing his big lost-and-found glasses (...while riding in a car with Lloyd Braun to pick up some gum from Chinatown).  Those messages are often the highlight of my day.

In 2006, I won tickets from a radio show trivia contest to see Jerry Seinfeld at the Wang Theater in Boston. They were front row seats and there was only one person who I wanted to join me at the show.  It was an amazing experience to share with my dad. We had permanent smiles on our faces and I just know that we made eye contact with Jerry.  It was a hilarious night with my favorite guy and our buddy Jerry.

My dad's birthday fell on father's day this year. Fate was telling me that this double celebration called for me to make Seinfeld cookies for my #1 Dad.

The amazing cookie decorator at Oh, Sugar! Events created a glorious and inspirational set of Seinfeld Cookies with all the classics. They are awesome! For my set I wanted to hit on some of my favorites and my dad's favorite moments from the show. I also customized the Seinfeld logo to reflect my papa's last name.

 Jerome "Jerry" Seinfeld

"But I don't want to be a pirate" - from The Puffy Shirt
"This shirt will never leave my body. " - from The English Patient
"Two races of flavor living side by side in harmony" - from The Dinner Party
And of course, Little Jerry Seinfeld
"You hate him because he is doing more with your name than you ever will!" -from the Little Jerry

George Louis Costanza
"And some hair for my little friend here." -from The Chicken Roaster
 "Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way." - from The Strike
"I never baited a hook with a rye before. Your hook is too small. This is for like a muffin. "
 - from The Rye 

Elaine Marie Benes

"It combines the spirit of Old Mexico with a little big city panache." - from The Foundation
"Well maybe the next time someone's in a car accident you won't stop off for candy first." 
-from The Opposite

"Oh is it a two-ply? Cause if it's two-ply, I'll take one-ply, one-ply, one puny little ply, I'll take one measly ply." - from The Stall

"It's the best part. It's crunchy, it's explosive, it's where the muffin breaks free from the pan and sort of does it's own thing." - from The Muffin Tops
Cosmo Kramer


"Yes, yes. I am Dr. Van Nostrand from the clinic."- from The Package


"Who's gonna turn down a junior mint. It's chocolate, it's peppermint -- it's delicious!"
 - from The Junior Mint
"It's like having a circus in my mouth." -from The Doodle

"So I’m sitting there with Woody and I say, I turn to him and I go, “Boy, these pretzels are making me thirsty.”" - from The Alternate Side

I personalized the logo and an additional cookie for my dad, Ken Demaine 
"See the hard part is to find a pasta that captures the individual." - from The Fusilli Jerry

I call this : The Penne Kenny


I wrapped them all up with a big velvet purple bow because,
 "You could drape yourself in velvet for all I care."


In addition to cookies, I also made him a chocolate and cinnamon babka. It is a delicious bread cake full of rich chocolate and fragrant cinnamon.

"Cinnamon takes a back seat to no Bobka. People love cinnamon. It should be on tables at restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, "Oh This is so good. What's in it?" The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again. Lesser Bobka - I think not." 
- from The Dinner Party


 I had so much fun making these cookies and laughing at all of the Seinfeld moments that my father and I love.  I think he enjoyed them too. :)


Happy Birthday/Father's Day to my #1 Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment