Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Boston Strong

As April comes to a close, I reflect back on what a month it has been. I had a birthday and my blog had its second anniversary, but both sort of passed in my life with little fanfare. Work, plans, and personal things got in the way of being able to truly celebrate. My cookie decorating was sparse this month too and this is my first post in over a month. And of course, life here was consumed by non-stop news coverage starting on April 15. It still makes my breath catch in my chest...

I work in Boston and I used to live on Newbury Street just mere blocks from the Marathon finish line. We were not in the city on that Monday because we had the holiday off from work, but our day off quickly turned into us being glued to the television and our twitter feeds, checking status updates on facebook, hugging and repeating how much we love each other again and again. Since that day and the chaotic, scary, stressful days that have followed, we visited the memorial, attended a candelight vigil, donated funds, and I made cookies that were delivered to first responders in Boston and Watertown. I share with you these cookies simply in the hope that they in some way showed my gratitude for the kindness and courage that shined through when we needed it most.







The meaning of the words "Boston Strong" goes beyond just this city. To me it means finding a strength in human solidarity in a world that sometimes can feel so lonely and confusing. We remember those who were lost, we support those who were injured, and we honor all those who help.

I know that this world, this life, is beautiful and amazing and we need to enjoy and celebrate the moments that we can. In 19 days I am marrying the love of my life, my favorite person, my savior, and I am so grateful.

Give more hugs.
Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment