Monday, June 25, 2012

A Barnyard Birthday

Howdy Y'all! It has been far too long since I last blogged, but I am back with a lovely treat!  I had the honor of making a farm animal cake and cookies for a precious sweetie pie on her 2nd birthday.  It was quite the endeavor but I was so pleased with my results and I think the birthday girl was too. 

The cake itself is vanilla with a chocolate cream cheese filling, vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream frosting and homemade marshmallow fondant detailing. The barn is a small dark chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, covered in fondant. The barn was quite an adventure. First, I thought I would try to sculpt it out of rice cereal treats but that was a lumpy mess. Next, I had the genius (ha!) idea of making it out of cookies and somehow gluing it together. That was just silly. Finally I got the courage to carve a barn out of cake, and it worked!  

This was my first time sculpting creatures out of fondant. It was fun and challenging. I love all of my little creations. I had a special request to include a dog with the menagerie. Who better to be my inspiration than our beloved Sage. I think she came out so cute. 



My little cow had a bail of hay to munch on, although the hay was actually a rice cereal treat covered with fondant.


Chicken
 Ducks
 Piggy
 Sheep
The gang




I love this perspective! Sage is on top of the world.

I included a little lady bug too. She is also 2 years old. :)

I also made an assortment of sugar cookies in chocolate and vanilla. The rooster and mallard were my favorite.
 Happy Birthday to Sydney!! 

I would like to give a special thanks to my beloved Ed for taking all of the great cake pictures, keeping me happy and mellow, and for providing me with this quote, from the incomparable Scott Baio, when I wasn't sure what to write:

Family, work, familiarity. Listen, if I had a magic wand and I could make myself really be happy, I'd zap me onto a farm. And I know nothing about farming.
Read more athttp://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/farm.html#

Yep. Eddie is a keeper.



No comments:

Post a Comment